Mapping Small Water Systems with Free Google Earth Pro Desktop (Online)
For a water utility, the management of assets plays a significant role in overall
financial performance. With the use of effective asset management, it is possible
to reduce overall infrastructure costs instead of waiting until the assets fail,
incurring higher than necessary costs.
Participants will receive a step-by-step tutorial on how to get started mapping
your water system’s assets using Google Earth for project planning, public presentations and developing capital improvement plans.
Participants should download and install the free Google Earth Pro software prior
to the class (google.com/earth/).
Participants will learn:
• The basics of asset management
• The basic tools of Google Earth needed to map water system assets
• How to import scanned maps, hand held GPS coordinates and public domain
• How to derive water main pipe lengths and surface elevations for evaluating
pipe alignments and tank sites for hydraulic analysis, project planning and
• How to edit, save and share your Google Earth maps with project team
members and the public
Recommended audience includes operators, managers, and board members
Road Scholar Credits
Continuing Education Credits (CEUs)
Select A Session
Sorry, there are no sessions currently available for this course at this time.